Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Thoughts

I was so surprised by my mixed emotions last night when they announced that Obama had won the election. On the one hand, I felt sad and disappointed. I was a McCain supporter and I have real concerns now about future Supreme Court appointees and what it means for unborn babies in this country (among other serious concerns). On the other hand, I was proud of our country because we seem to be traveling away from our racist past. Honestly, I was moved by the emotional response of the African-Americans in the audience in Chicago; I was happy for them. Now it is time for us as Christians to pray for Obama . . .

Locally, I was THRILLED to see that the citizens of Bartlesville said "no" to funding the jail. Thank you to everyone who voted against the jail! Just want everyone to know that the fight to keep the jail out of our neighborhood is still not over. Most of us expect that the county will create a so-called "new and improved" plan and still try to build it at the same residential site. So we need prayer and for any supporters who feel led to please donate to the legal fund. Lawyers charge by the hour and it ain't cheap! Go to www.neighborsforjustice.com for more information.

1 comment:

Marci said...

I would also encourage those who believe the jail should NOT be built in a residential area to send emails to the county commissioiners letting them know that. Express that you will not vote YES until they move it to an area that is at least 1/4 mile away from any residential areas.

Mike Dunlap mdunlap@countycourthouse.org

Linda Herndon
lherndon@countycourthouse.org

Gary Deckard
gdeckard@countycourthouse.org