Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dirty Mouth? Clean it up!

Brooke has definitely broken the "Settle" mold -- she is just her own little person, who does things that my other two NEVER did. Like eating poop. Of unknown origin. Being the daughter of a nurse who used to talk about surgeries in detail at the dinner table, and now, the mother of three children -- it takes a LOT to gross me out, but this did it:

We were in line ordering ice cream at Braum's and Jack said, "Mom, Brooke has something in her mouth". I looked to see Brooke spitting and sputtering, and so I bent down to just try to take out whatever was in her mouth. Out of her mouth came the undeniable stench of well, feces. She had actually chewed it because it was in the grooves of her teeth on the top and the bottom. I took her to the bathroom and tried to wash her mouth out with soap, which made her cry. Then I tried to clean her teeth with a toothpick. The whole time I was giving her a lecture about not eating stuff off of the floor because it could make her sick. She came out of the bathroom saying, "Poop, nassy" [nasty].

When we got home, I brushed her teeth and threw away the toothbrush. And then I waited to see if she would get sick. She didn't, but I was still worried -- what about hepatitis? or worms? -- so I called our pediatrician who told me that as long as she wasn't showing any signs of sickness that she was probably okay. "It's not much different than when children play in the dirt and then put their hands in their mouths and get traces of feces." It made me feel better, but in my book, chewing up a mouthful of poop is different than traces of feces!

Jack's evaluation of the situation was funny and probably accurate. He said, "Mom, I think she thought it was chocolate."

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yuck, Sonja! Sorry that you had to deal with that! My opinion is the third child is the child that takes us where we have never been before. I hear third child stories all the time that are shocking, and we have plenty of our own!

sonja said...

Becky, I think you are SO right! There is something about the third one for sure! How about the fourth -- or are you just desensitized by then?

Kayla said...

That is gross!! I guess she learned never to eat poop again!!