Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Hardest Questions

It's politics . . . it's ugly . . . and sometimes it just makes you want to throw-up.

A very savvy politician told me that recently. At the time I did not understand completely -- but now I do, and I do want to throw-up. (if you are confused, look at the post that was published right before this one).

For the last few weeks, I have been going through my house, room-by-room, cleaning out junk and clutter to get ready for our move in a few months. When I was going through the drawer in my bedside table, I discovered something dated September 24, 2001. At that time I had just finished re-reading for the third time, Corrie Ten Boon's (can't remember how to spell her last name) book, The Hiding Place. (For those of you unfamiliar with Corrie, she hid Jews during WWII and ended up in a concentration camp). At the back of that particular edition of the book was a section entitled, "Six ways to put this book to work into your life". The first way was to:

Discover for yourself that God governs all things, even those that appear senseless and cruel. As an experiment, list your 'hardest questions'-- vexing personal questions: an illness, an automobile accident, a business failure. Then one by one transfer these loads from your own care to God's. Pray, 'Lord, because I do not have the answers to these things I do not therefore conclude that there are no answers. You know why, Lord, and when I am strong enough -- wise enough, loving enough -- You will show me too.'"

Back in 2001, I had listed 8 vexing personal questions. When I found these papers after almost 7 years, I was amazed because 7 of the questions (which in all honesty, I highly doubted I would ever know the answer to (this side of heaven), had been answered. I think when I read through that list, and saw that I knew the "why" of 7 of those very hard questions, my jaw actually dropped. What a blessing and a faith-building experience.

I have been creating a new list of questions, and tonight, as I recall the roller coaster of the last three days, I realized that I need to transfer this jail issue back over to God. I am sad. I am angry. I want to throw-up. This is all so wrong -- why does God allow it? I don't know, but He does.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways, my ways,' declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

2 comments:

Marci said...

Great post Sonja and thanks for reminding me to trust God. This is in God's hands and whatever comes about, we have to trust him for his sovereignty. We can only do our part and then trust God for the outcome.

You have got me wanting to write down some vexing questions and hide them away for a few years to see if they will get answered. That is neat!

Vickie said...

i love your reference to Corrie ten Boom. I grew up knowing about her and love her as if I know her. She certainly battled 'politics'. Thank you for your thoughts.