Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday, Brooke!

Yesterday was Brooke's second birthday. Having gotten tired of waiting to eat her cake, she simply crawled up onto the table and started scooping icing off of the cake with her finger. This is an example of what a different parent I am now with our third child. I NEVER would have sat by and watched Jack or Claire eat the icing off of their birthday cakes. I would have seized the moment as a teaching moment to help them learn what is appropriate. However, Brooke was SO CUTE and enjoying herself so much, I just had to take advantage of the wonderful photo op.


Brooke has been our little miracle baby. As I reflect on the two short years of her life, I am so thankful to God for healing her and helping her. Her epulis "disappeared" without having to be surgically removed, she can walk and run, she is finally learning to talk, and her personality is a joy. She has a great sense of humor already which makes it difficult to discipline her because she just thinks that life is fun and games. Often when she disobeys, she is "teasing" me and trying to make me laugh. Even if I have self-control and don't laugh, Jack and Claire usually crack-up because she is genuinely funny and so adorable.


Right now, Brooke likes:
Purses-- taking things in and out of them
Babies and Baby dolls
Swinging in every swing at the park -- we can't leave until she has sat in all of them
Drinking out of every water fountain she sees -- if there are three in a row, she must sample each one
Tea sets and tea parties -- she got two new sets for her birthday and last night when I was making dinner, I had our plates lined up, assembly-line style. She brought four saucers in and lined them up and started putting food on them like I was doing.
Shoes -- she can entertain herself for a long time in a closet full of shoes
New clothes -- I had to struggle with her this morning (to put all of her new outfits in the laundry) because she wanted to snuggle with them and look at them and touch them.
Playing outside and going to parks -- once we were on Adams and we turned onto Silver Lake Road, she immediately started squealing and shouting "Play" even though she could not even see the park yet.
Jack and Claire -- she is so happy to have them here during the day again (since school is out)

3 comments:

Marci said...

How sweet! I love that you allowed her to lick the icing off the cake. I was the same way by the time I had reached the 3rd child.

What a blessing she is. I look forward to getting to know her better in the upcoming years!

khowze said...

Very cute pics of her eating the cake. She sounds like my kind of girl with her love of shoes and clothes!

Eric and Ruth said...

Love the birthday pictures and the cute watermelon cake:).