Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Progress on the House

Several people have asked for an update of the house so here it is! We think that it might be possible for us to be "moving" in 3-4 weeks. The reason I put that in quotation marks is because we will move some of our furniture and belongings, but we will be leaving some of it here to "stage" this house in hopes of increasing our chances of selling our home more quickly.


We have columns and sidewalks outside now and although this picture does not show it, we have sod now too. Also, they are painting the outside this week -- all of the trim will be white (including the dormer siding) and the front door and shutters (not on yet) will be black.


This is the living room floor before being they stained the concrete.


This is the floor yesterday where they taped the floor to show the pattern that they are going to make when they score the floor. It is also stained here, but it is hard to tell because of all of the dust from tile and wood being cut.



This is our shower in the master bath -- white subway tile (my favorite!). We used it in the kitchen, and all of the baths.




Here is the kitchen and this is not current either. They have the cabinet doors on now. The countertops were the only selection that stressed me a bit. Granite is standard in Brent Taylor Homes, but I did not want granite because it is porous (soaks up stains and germs) and so I had decided on black Corian. However, when I went to make my selection the saleswoman told me that that was not a good selection if I planned to "use my kitchen"; it seems that black Corian shows scratches really badly. Therefore, I went with old-fashioned formica and although I was a little bummed at first, when I came home and saw how easy it was to take permanent marker off of formica (about 2 days after I made my selection, Brooke did some art in our current kitchen), I was happy with my choice!

2 comments:

Eric and Ruth said...

Sonja, it looks great! I can't wait to see it. It is a great idea to stage your house. We looked at one here that was staged and we ended up putting an offer on it. I could really tell a difference from the other homes. I think you will be happy with your countertops, I feel like mine never look clean even after I have wiped them down.

sonja said...

Thanks, Ruth! I hope I did not sound spoiled -- many of my friends who have granite have had the same experience as you. I think I got the lowest maintenance countertops which is what I need right now at this stage of my life!