Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Tale of Despereaux

Dear Friends, I have just gotten wonderful news. Revealing this news will tell you simultaneously what a nerd I am and also, how little it takes to create excitement in the life of this stay-at-home mom. :)

The news that has been the cause of great joy for me (like the drama, David?) is this: my favorite, favorite, favorite Newbery winning book, The Tale of Despereaux, has been made into a movie!! It will be in theatres around Christmas this year -- I can hardly wait!

Let me try to persuade you to read the book before you see the movie. The full name of the book is: The Tale of Despereaux being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup and a spool of thread. You are just dying to read it now, aren't you? It is written by Kate DiCamillo, the author of Because of Winn-Dixie and more recently, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

I loved this book and then read it aloud to Jack and Claire who, with no exaggerration, begged me to read "just one more chapter" EVERY night. I understood completely because the chapters are short and almost always end with a cliff-hanger.

The book is so beautifully written and has all of the dichotomies that I love: love and hate, good and evil, dark and light, forgiveness and revenge. It is incredible and I PROMISE will capture adults and children alike!

It is a great summer read (winter, fall, spring read) for anyone!

2 comments:

Marci said...

I will definitely be getting this book!

I get excited about those types of things too- - -so I guess I am a nerd too!

Eric and Ruth said...

Thank you for the book recommendation! Please pass along any more that you might have:).